Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bugs on leading edges

Dave MartyDave Marty
    LFC Moderator

How to deal with the annoyance of bugs on leading edges- wings and nose cone predominantly !

I like to use a bug sponge -which has an open weave cloth over a thin sponge. with the sponge wet ,add a couple of drops of aviation safe detergent. it doesn’t make a mess and if just let dry ,it doesn’t leave much detergent remaining.

Minimising the bug adhesiveness is a good option.

Years ago I tried WD40 , but it made a lot of mess

Not leaving bugs on to dry is great, but cleaning the bugs at destination is the last thing you can be bothered with.

A very good option is to wax the bug prone areas. Needs to be a pure canuba wax ,and lightly applied every month or so. Bugs just wipe off with a damp cloth or sponge.

BobIrvineBobIrvine
    LFC Moderator

I have a one litre pump up spray bottle which I fill with a light solution of aviation safe detergent and water. Before tying down the aircraft, I spray the leading edges and bug prone areas with the solution. Then I wipe with a cloth starting at the first point I sprayed. The bugs, grass seeds and stuff are easily removed, any stubborn items get another quick spray and wipe.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BobIrvineBobIrvine.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.